The Lewis Engineering consulting engineering practice was established in 1997. We provide structural design and advice for a wide range of projects, from domestic buildings to multi-storey apartments, commercial and institutional buildings to warehouse and workshop buildings and industrial and coal handling structures.
Lewis Engineering offers innovative, cost effective and buildable structural design. We consider alternative structural systems to arrive at the optimum solution for each individual project. We assess the structural condition of existing buildings for the purposes of repairs or modifications. We design new buildings and the retrofitting of existing buildings in accordance with earthquake code requirements. We determine structural requirements in the restoration or re-use of heritage buildings We provide full structural and civil documentation using AutoCAD format. We inspect construction works in progress.
Lewis Martin – Chartered professional engineer with over 30 years experience in the design, documentation and site inspection of a wide range of structural and civil projects in the local area. Nathan Moate – Structural draftsman with 5 years AutoCAD experience with a wide range of structural and civil project knowledge Lee Cooper – Structural draftsman with 4 years AutoCAD experience with a wide range of structural and civil project knowledge Thomas Martin – 3rd year apprentice structural draftsman studying structural design at TAFE.
The following projects have been undertaken by Lewis Engineering:
- Numerous award winning Architect designed homes.
- Seven storey apartments at Church Street Nelson Bay (two levels below street level).
- Three storey duplex at Frederick Street Merewether.
- Two storey retail and office development at Teramby Street Marina, Nelson Bay.
- Three storey addition to Fig Tree Point retirement complex at Toronto (the location of the building necessitated the design of a 6 m retaining wall in a steeply sloping site immediately adjacent to an existing building).
- State Fisheries office building at Taylors Beach.
- Two storey clubhouse and amenities building for sporting complex at Nelson Bay for Port Stephens Council. (2 storey, total area - 1200 square metres).
- Three storey 15 room boutique motel at Nelson Bay.
- New Vine Baptist Church at Glendore. The building is a steel framed structure having a 26 metre span portal frame (Floor area 850 square metres).
- Eight storey car park and apartment building for the Shoal Bay Country Club Resort project
- Structural design and documentation for the proposed 3 storey Salamander Bay Medical centre.
- Two storey office and commercial tenancies for Montgomery Homes at the Pacific Hwy, Belmont.
- New surf club building, manager’s residence, boat store and patrol tower for the Fingal Bay Surf Club.
- Library and classrooms at St John Vianney School Morisset framed with precast concrete walls.
- Precast concrete framed Hall for Our Lady of Victories Primary School Shortland.
- Conversion of existing factory building to a performance theatre for St Pius High School Adamstown.
- New 2 storey administration building, conversion of church into a hall and alterations to existing buildings at Holy Family Primary School Merewether.
- New hall, administration building and classroom blocks at St Benedicts Primary School Edgeworth.
- New library and upgrade of existing administration building for St Joseph primary School
- New classrooms and hall at St Brigids Primary School Raymond Terrace.
- New classroom blocks and modifications to existing structures at Our Lady of Lourdes Primary
- New classroom blocks and modifications to existing structures at St Pauls Primary School Rutherford
- Soldier pile retaining wall for the second entry to John Hunter Hospital.
- Site inspections of structural steelwork for the major expansion of Cessnock Correctional Centre.
- Workshop and office (650square metres) with 15 tonne travelling cranes at Beresfield.
- Foundations for transfer towers, foundations for coal handling and preparation plant with reinforced concrete foundations and elevated platform for secondary floatation plant at Stratford Coal.
- Public Wharf at Hunter River – Raymond Terrace.
The following is a sample of projects Lewis Martin has undertaken whilst being employed with other consultants prior to Lewis Engineering. (Low and Hooke (Aust) P/L and Rankine and Hill P/L previously)
- Kingston Apartments at Newcastle East (9 storey reinforced concrete)
- Salamander Education Centre (18 single and 2 storey buildings, including 2 halls)
- 2 storey medical consulting rooms with 2 operating theatres at Broadmeadow
- Tilt up construction showrooms and warehouse at Mayfield
- General Purpose Building - University of Newcastle (4 storey structure and 2 lecture theatres)
- Prime TV Studios at Wallsend (including 8m tilt up structure for studios)
- Young Peoples Theatre at Hamilton (including stage and fly gallery)
Our aim is to provide high quality design and documentation within the planned timeframes and with competitive fees.